Petitioner MUST be a resident of Marengo County to file a petition for name change. If the petitioner’s driver’s license shows an address out of county or out of state, proof of residency is required at the time of filing.
Documents Required to do an Adult Name Change
These requirements may be waived by the Judge if the name change is solely to correct an error (i.e. spelling) or to change from a married name to a maiden name. Also, the Judge may grant permission for only an FBI or ABI background check.
Certified criminal history background checks based on fingerprints from the ABI (Alabama Bureau of Investigation – local)
- Customer should go to the ABI, located at 834 Adams Avenue. Go into the door across the street from Flowers by Buck. The ABI is located in the middle of the block between Ripley and South Jackson.
- The hours of operation for the ABI are 8-4:30, Monday through Friday.
- The fee is $25.00 and they will accept either a cashier’s check or money order.
- Customer will need to bring a current photo identification card or student identification card.
- Customer may call (334) 353-4340 if there are any questions. When you go to the ABI’s office, barring any problems, it can be done while you wait.
- Customer will receive a certified criminal history background check from the ABI that must be brought to the Probate Court when filing for name change.
- The ABI can print out a copy of the applicant fingerprint cards that you must have in order to submit to the FBI, along with the forms online (listed below) and the fee. There is no charge to print out fingerprint cards by the ABI.
Certified criminal history background checks from the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation – nationwide
Go to the FBI’s website, which is located at www.fbi.gov. If you do not have access to a computer, you can utilize one at a local public library.
- Once on the website, go to “stats and services” and choose “background checks.”
- Read the instructions carefully and fill out the Application Information form and print it out.
- There are two different ways to obtain the background check from the FBI. The two choices are listed on the instructions.
- If you choose to submit your request directly to the FBI and mail the request in, please submit the form, the original fingerprint card and $18.00 fee per person.
- They will accept a cashier’s check, money order or credit card.
- The mailing address to the FBI is:
- FBI CJIS Division – Record Request 1000 Custer Hollow Road Clarksburg, WV 26306
- The FBI will also send you a certified criminal history background check that must be brought into the Probate Court along with the ABI’s certification.
If you have questions for the FBI, you may contact a local office, as follows:
- FBI Birmingham: 1000 18th Street North Birmingham, AL 35203 birmingham.fbi.gov (205) 326-6166
- FBI Mobile: 200 N. Royal Street Mobile, AL 36602 mobile.fbi.gov (251) 438-3674
Certified copy of your birth certificate (If you were born in the State of Alabama, you may contact the Center for Health Statistics at (334) 206-2637 to obtain a certified copy of the birth certificate)
Picture identification (i.e., driver’s license/non-driver’s license)
Proof of residency (If the petitioner’s driver’s license shows an address out of county or out of state, proof of residency is required at the time of filing, i.e., utility bill, deed or lease.)
Social Security Card
$35.00 filing fee